A toaster oven is a convenient tabletop appliance that allows you to toast, bake, and roast foods quickly without heating the larger oven or having multiple devices for similar tasks. Because the toaster has a small size, you can clean it very quickly and easily.
During use, the oven will accumulate grease and food debris that makes the device less efficient, so it is essential to clean the oven properly after each processing.
Here’s the article about how to clean a toaster oven in eight simple ways and without using harsh chemicals.
- 8 Ways To Clean A Toaster Oven
- 1. Clean a toaster oven with baking soda
- 2. Clean a toaster oven with white vinegar
- 3. Clean a toaster oven with lemon
- 4. Clean a toaster oven with dishwashing liquid
- 5. Clean a toaster oven with glass cleaner
- 6. Clean and deodorize a toaster oven with alcohol
- 7. Clean and deodorize a toaster oven with coffee powder
- 8. Clean and deodorize a toaster oven with vanilla
8 Ways To Clean A Toaster Oven
When cleaning a toaster oven, we recommend nylon or soft plastic scouring pads when you scrub the crumb tray and baking racks. This oven cleaning method is both safe, eco-friendly, and very easy to do.
Many people consider using an oven cleaner. Sounds good, but don’t use that. Those sprays are not suitable for aluminum, which is what the interiors of most toaster ovens are made of.
- Never soak your toaster oven in water.
- Always apply cleaning solutions to a rag or sponge with warm water. Don’t apply directly to the toaster oven.
- Before cleaning, you need to unplug the power supply to avoid electric leakage.
- Wear rubber gloves to protect your hands from cleaning agents.
- You need to clean the entire oven from trays, oven walls, oven surfaces, glass doors, knobs, etc.
- Avoid using strong detergents so as not to cause food poisoning when preparing food.
- Do not use sharp objects (knife, scissors, buns, etc.) to clean the oven, to avoid scratching the surface of the oven, causing rust, electric leakage.
1. Clean a toaster oven with baking soda
Step 1: Unplug and remove all parts of the toaster oven
After every use, you should try to wipe your toaster oven down to keep it in good condition.
Let’s make sure that your toaster oven is unplugged and cooled before cleaning.
First, remove the grill, baking tray, thermometer, and everything in the oven.
Take a look at the corners. Some crumbs might stick in there. You can use an out-of-service toothbrush or a pastry brush to sweep them away if you want.
Step 2: Soak and clean toaster oven racks and tray
Mix hot water and dishwashing liquid in a large bowl. Then soak the griddle and baking tray in it for about 4-12 hours to remove stubborn grease stains.
Next, take a towel to wipe the grease stains on the grill slots and the surface of the baking tray carefully, then drain the water to clean the foam. Put them on a towel to dry, then put them back in the oven and you’re done.
Step 3: Find the crumbs and brush them out of the toaster oven
Wipeout all the crumbs of the oven by using a dry cleaning cloth. You can gently tap the top and sides of the stove to remove small bits in nooks and crannies.
Wipe off the debris and dispose of them.
Step 4: Scrub the inside of the toaster oven
Inside of the toaster is very easy to clean:
- Mix half a cup of baking soda with a few tablespoons of water to form a paste.
- Put on gloves and rub the mixture into the inside of the oven. Leave it overnight or 12 hours.
- Be careful not to damage the toaster heating element. Wipe the inside of the walls and ceiling of the toaster oven, taking care to avoid the coils/heaters. Use a wet cloth to wipe the dried mixture. In deep places inside the oven, you can use tongs, wooden or plastic grits to reach.
- Spray vinegar over any remaining dry mixture. The vinegar will react with the baking soda and form a foam. At this point, you use a clean, thorough cloth to wipe the inside of the oven again.
If the stain is stubborn, you can soak the tray for a few hours and then try scrubbing again. Make sure to use the sponge side – do not use the rough side. As it can remove the non-stick coating on the tray, making it more challenging to keep clean in the future.
Rinse and dry the tray. Repeat with the baking rack.
Step 5: Wipe Down the Glass Door
Avoid using commercial window cleaning products on the glass door. Instead, mix up a homemade window cleaner using one part vinegar to two parts water and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Wipe down the glass using coffee filters for a streak-free shine.
Step 6: Clean outside the toaster
Once the inside of the toaster is clean, wipe the outside. Start with a towel moistened with water and a little dish soap. Then use a damp cloth to wipe off the soapy water. If you want to use a glass cleaner or other spray on the door or exterior of your toaster oven, be sure to apply this cleaner to your towel instead of spraying it directly on the appliance. Dry the water and wipe down handles, knobs, buttons, and any high-contact areas with an antibacterial cloth to kill any lingering germs. Let dry completely in the air before putting the toaster parts together.
Again, don’t use the green scouring side of the sponge. It will leave tiny scratches all over your toaster.
Don’t forget to clean the controls. They can get pretty dirty.
2. Clean a toaster oven with white vinegar
Step 1: Put half a cup of vinegar in a glass bowl and mix it with water at a ratio of 1: 5, put it in the oven cavity.
Step 2: Turn on the oven to operate for 5 minutes until it evaporates, if your oven has a high capacity, adjust the time shorter, about 2-3 minutes.
Step 3: Use a dry towel to wipe the stains inside and the oven wall.
3. Clean a toaster oven with lemon
Step 1: Cut 1 lemon in half and put it in a clean bowl or you can replace the lemon with half an orange, add water to more than half of the bowl, and put it in the toaster oven.
Step 2: Let the oven rotate for 3 minutes for the water to evaporate. Turn off the oven and do not open the door, but leave the bowl in it for 5 minutes and then take it out so that stubborn grease stains can easily peel off.
Step 3: Use a soft cloth or sponge to wipe the stains, wipe again with water, and finally dry with a soft cloth.
4. Clean a toaster oven with dishwashing liquid
Step 1: Put 2 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid in one, add warm water to 1/2 cup.
Step 2: Put in the oven cavity and turn on the oven to operate for 1-2 minutes until the water evaporates evenly on the oven wall, then turn off the oven, wait for about 4-5 minutes, then proceed to wipe.
Step 3: Use a wet cloth to wipe off the dirt and wipe it with a dry cloth.
5. Clean a toaster oven with glass cleaner
Step 1: Spray glass cleaner on the sponge and wipe the inside and outside of the toaster oven.
Step 2: Wipe cleanly with water to avoid remaining chemicals, then dry.
You should let the oven get rid of the smell of glass cleaner before you use it so that the dish does not stick to the smell of the glass cleaner and keep your family’s health safe.
6. Clean and deodorize a toaster oven with alcohol
Step 1: Pour the wine into the toaster oven.
Step 2: Place in the cavity and let the oven operate for about 3 minutes until boiling and evaporating. Turn off the oven and do not open the door. Let the cup soak in the oven for 5 minutes to soften stubborn stains.
Step 3: Use a soft cloth to wipe the stains, then wipe thoroughly with water again and dry with a towel.
7. Clean and deodorize a toaster oven with coffee powder
Step 1: Put 2 teaspoons of coffee powder in a large cup, add water to more than half a cup.
Step 2: Put the cup in the oven and turn on the oven for 5 minutes until the steam comes off. Let the cup sit for about 10 minutes after turning off the oven, to deodorize and remove grease stains more effectively.
Step 3: Use a towel to wipe off the stains that have come off, clean it thoroughly again with water and dry with a soft cloth.
8. Clean and deodorize a toaster oven with vanilla
Step 1: Put 3 teaspoons of vanilla essence in a glass bowl, pour water over half a cup, and stir well.
Step 2: Put the bowl into the oven cavity, let the oven operate for 5 minutes until it boils and evaporates. When turning off the oven, do not rush to open the door, leave the vanilla in the oven for another 15 minutes to soften the stubborn stains.
Step 3: Use a soft cloth to wipe with warm water.
When you know how to clean a toaster oven and stick to a regular cleaning schedule that includes your toaster oven, each cleaning will be quick. No mess and no burn marks mean you’ll get the cleanup done in no time!