If you are thinking about buying an offset smoker, then this blog post is for you! We have compiled a list of the ideal models available on the market. You will learn what to look for when purchasing one and which best suits your needs. So don’t delay it any longer and read our review of the best offset smoker now!
- What is an offset smoker and how does it work?
- Why Would I Need an Offset Smoker?
- List of 13 Best Offset Smoker Reviews
- 1. Royal Gourmet CC1830SC Charcoal Grill Offset Smoker with Cover
- 2. Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS1382VCS-D Heavy-Duty Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker
- 3. Char-Broil 12201570-A1 American Gourmet Offset Smoker
- 4. Royal Gourmet CC1830FC Charcoal Grill Offset Smoker
- 5. Royal Gourmet CC2036F Charcoal Barrel Grill with Offset Smoker
- 6. Royal Gourmet CC1830R 30-Inch Barrel Charcoal Offset Smoker
- 7. Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker
- 8. Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Offset Smoker
- 9. Royal Gourmet 30″ BBQ Charcoal Grill and Offset Smoker
- 10. Royal Gourmet CC1830F Charcoal Grill with Offset Smoker
- 11. HADST Charcoal Grill with Offset Smoker
- 12. Outsunny 48″ Steel Portable Backyard Charcoal BBQ Grill and Offset Smoker Combo
- 13. Broil King 958050 Offset Smoker
- How To Choose The Best Offset Smoker
- Body Type
- FAQs about using your new offset smoker
- Can you use wood pellets on an offset smoker?
- What is a good offset smoker for smoking ribs?
- What is the best way to set up a quality offset smoker?
- What is the difference between a charcoal smoker and an offset smoker?
- What is the difference between offset smokers and electric smokers?
- What is the best smoker under $200?
- How do I control my offset smoker?
- How do you maintain an offset smoker?
- How to Use an Offset Smoker for Beginners
What is an offset smoker and how does it work?
An offset smoker is a type of cooker that lets you smoke different kinds of foods. It uses two chambers, one for fire and the other to hold your food inside. When using an offset smoker, you need to light up charcoal first on its side burner or chimney before transferring it over onto another part where there’s no heat source yet.
In an offset smoker, the heat source is separate from where your food will be placed. The most common types of smokers use a vertical design, which means their firebox and cooking chamber is at a right angle to one another. Smoke can easily flow through both chambers due to this unique design.
The term “offset” refers to a pipe that’s connected between the firebox and cooking chamber. This is where most of your heat comes out before reaching your food.
Offset smokers are usually made from heavy-duty steel, which allows them to withstand high temperatures without warping or bending over time.
Since offset smokers use indirect heat (which means there’s no flame touching) for cooking, it takes a long time for the food to be done.
Why Would I Need an Offset Smoker?
Offset smokers are a great way to cook. Not only do they have an amazing flavor, but they also have a lower price point than your standard gas or electric smoker. This is because the product doesn’t require as much power as those other options and therefore can be made from cheaper materials.
In addition, offset smokers don’t need electricity or gas to run, which means that you will never be without food if there is an outage of some kind! They use charcoal for fuel, so these units are perfect for people who want something different without all the hassle of having to buy expensive equipment and worry about it breaking down on them when they need it most.
Offset smokers also tend to be more compact in size than the other options. If you are tight on space, this is a great option for you!
These units are perfect for anyone who wants to use their smoker in all seasons and be able to rely on it when they need it most. If you want something that is going to provide years of service without costing a fortune, offset smokers might just be the option for you!
List of 13 Best Offset Smoker Reviews
1. Royal Gourmet CC1830SC Charcoal Grill Offset Smoker with Cover
- The Royal Gourmet CC1830SC Charcoal Grill Offset Smoker is everything you need to grill like never before. This new offset smoker features 443 sq. in. porcelain-coated steel wiring grates that are easy to clean after all that cooking.
- The 169 sq. in chrome-plated warming rack is perfect for keeping food warm or giving it some more flavor! With 189 sq. in offset smoker another 186 on the other side of the grill, you will never burn your meat again.
- Offset smokers are known as safe because they keep the fire away from where you’re cooking and use less fuel than traditional grills so heat control is better too.
- Whether you’re looking for a top-of-the-line grill or to upgrade your current setup, this model has it all. Easily adding charcoal and removing ash without compromising heat at the same time ensures that no matter what mistakes are made along the way during cooking, they won’t be penalizing your final dish.
2. Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS1382VCS-D Heavy-Duty Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker
- Next on the list is the Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS1382VCS-D Heavy-Duty Vertical Offset Smoker for your ideal family recipes. Cook 1382 square inches of meat at one time without burnout! Fiddle with the temperature gauge to get that perfect smoked flavor, or simply lower it to create a low and slow smoky atmosphere.
- You don’t have to be an expert chef to whip up delicious snacks like beef brisket, ribs, wings, pork shoulder, or whatever you want because this best offset smoker will cook it all right for you.
- Cold steel handles and smooth wheels make transportation even easier. This is an American classic– made complete with all of the modern features needed to make any recipe successful!
3. Char-Broil 12201570-A1 American Gourmet Offset Smoker
- The Char-Broil 12201570-A1 American Gourmet Offset Smoker is the perfect choice when you want to have a grill and offset smoker combined into one. And with 290 square inches of cooking surface in the main chamber, it’s not going to be a problem getting any kind of meat ready in no time.
- Add 140 more square inches in the firebox chamber, and this appliance is sure to handle whatever you throw at it: smoked ribs, a whole rack of spare ribs, or chicken wings will all taste great coming out of that grate! The smokier you keep things on your grill using a built-in damper valve for hours at a time, the tastier they’ll become.
- The smoker has a large heavy-duty steel fire grate and adjustable height to accommodate different types of wood chips. Cleanup is quick and easy with outstanding help in not wasting food since the ash can be removed through the clean-out door with a variable damper allowing you to create your desired amounts of heat needed.
4. Royal Gourmet CC1830FC Charcoal Grill Offset Smoker
- Named after the British Royals, this grill is a great option for anyone who wants a top-quality product. This offset smoker has an 823 square inch cooking surface with 443 sq. in. of porcelain-enameled steel wire grates and 191sq.in chrome-plated warming rack plates; it also comes with 189 sq. in .of offset smoker plate, which can be used for up to four hours without dumping out any ashes or coal or pine needles.
- With an easy-to-read thermometer in the main lid, seamless connection between side smoker and main box for better heat control, 2 levels height-adjustable charcoal pan for better heating performance, two wheels make pushing or moving around a breeze.
- Beautiful features like paint that won’t flake off on burn boxes and a quick recovery system to recover from unexpected sudden temperature changes are some of the many luxuries you’ll enjoy with this realistic solution.
5. Royal Gourmet CC2036F Charcoal Barrel Grill with Offset Smoker
- Meet the new BBQ, grilling, and smoking machine you’ve all been waiting for. After years of research and catering for 8-10 gatherings with 654 square inches cooking grates + 267 square inches warming rack – offset smoker is seamlessly attached to the main body. Royal Gourmet CC2036F is proud to let you know that it can also provide additional grilling or smoking cooking space for small side dishes!
- It is easy to use with the adjustable charcoal pan that makes it easier to control the heat and energy efficiency. There are 3 different level heights to cook on as desired. This product also has a side charcoal door that makes your coals easier without removing the entire grates or worrying about incomplete fuel usage.
- The easy cleanup of this offset smoker solves those fussy cleaning worries! Simply remove residue from the grease drip cup or the charcoal pan before putting it away, thanks to its removable design.
6. Royal Gourmet CC1830R 30-Inch Barrel Charcoal Offset Smoker
- The Royal Gourmet CC1830R is designed for events that require plenty of food storage and cooking space. Bright, lustrous porcelain-enameled steel grates allow for low and slow cooking, while the fixed nickel plating bars provide extra space for smaller fires or supplemental heating needs.
- The durable chrome-plated “warming rack” can be used to warm side dishes, tools, supplies – even your coffee.
- The integrated offset smoker provides additional grilling or smoking space for small side dishes as well as presenting aromatic smoky flavor without being intrusive into a large party’s activities.
- The most important feature of this item is the adjustable air damper controlling the circulation of heat, enabling you to easily maintain steady levels in your smoker.
- In addition to all this functionality and sturdiness, there’s ample storage space on both sides of the main product offering even more room for accessories or sauces–components so essential they deserve their own section: side table has 3 hooks attached to conveniently keep all your stuff organized while also sporting a paella pan compatible grill burner; yes, please!
7. Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker
- The Royal Gourmet CC1830R 30-Inch Barrel Charcoal Offset Smoker is just what you need for a long-lasting, high-quality, and immaculate smoking experience.
- With the vertical design of the smoker combined with efficient heat distribution, natural rising convection currents make cooking simpler than ever before. This offset smoker will easily and gracefully master whatever food challenge you throw at it.
- ABS construction ensures low maintenance needs and minimal warping across the board. A combined total of 784 square inches of the smoking area along with 1176 square inches of cooking space assures your product gets nothing but the absolute best.
- With the adjustable flue, you can ensure that the cooker stays within desired temperature levels when barbecuing, grilling, smoking, or taking any other form of cooking outdoors.
- The smokestack offers great ventilation control as well as additional flavoring options, such as using wood chips for extra crispness on steaks or ribs. It’s also equipped with an easy-to-read thermostat, so you know when it’s time for some meat!
8. Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Offset Smoker
- Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Offset Smoker is a badass grill that can handle anything from ribs to chicken to red meat. With 619 square inches of cooking space in the main cooking chamber and an easy firebox door that makes stoking or adding wood a snap, it’s a versatile companion for any serious outdoor chef.
- The front access door on the firebox makes restoking wood or adding wood easy, while the multiple dampers ensure complete control of heat and smoke coming out of your pit. If handling tools like meat forks end up messy for you (who knows – some people are just messy), shelves in this smoker will keep them organized.
- And don’t worry about cleaning! With heavy-duty grates that are easy to clean after cooking day in and day out, as well as an easily accessible charcoal pan underneath, cleanup couldn’t be easier.
- It also got tons of shelves inside for storage and grates with cool-touch handles, so you don’t have to worry about burning yourself trying to move this thing around. Plus, it comes in black and wheels, so you look perfect when you use this smoker on your next camping trip.
9. Royal Gourmet 30″ BBQ Charcoal Grill and Offset Smoker
- Perfect for an inviting outdoor get-together, the Royal Gourmet 30″ Offset BBQ Grill and Smoker is just what you need to enjoy your favorite foods with family or friends.
- A sleek design with a stainless steel finish ensures that this grill will complement any backyard style while still being easy on the eyes. Whether you’re smoking vegetables during the summer months or cooking meat in winter, this model has got it covered thanks to its two different fuel sources: charcoal and wood.
- With 801 square inches of grilling space available – including a front and side table for working on seasonings and sauces – there’s no worry about running out of room when cooking especially large meals.
- The Royal Gourmet 30″ Offset Smoker is right for you if you’re looking for a grill that offers nooks and crannies. The offset smoker provides better heat control, which means cooking with confidence, and the 2 levels height-adjustable charcoal pan ensures good circulation of heat and smoke. Be adventurous! It’s time to try your hand at brisket or prime rib.
10. Royal Gourmet CC1830F Charcoal Grill with Offset Smoker
- This Royal Gourmet 1830F Charcoal Grill with Offset Smoker can be put to excellent use during your next barbecue. With plenty of cooking space, the 823 square inch combo grill smoker offers excellent performance.
- Experience grilled and smoked meat at the same time without hassle when you cook with this firm charcoal BBQ that features a well-balanced design incorporating offset smokers.
- The side spring handle ensures that transportation is convenient and easy for this lightweight model. At the same time, two wagon-style wheels make it an absolute breeze to move around any outdoor event location without breaking your back.
- There’s also much room for creativity when it comes to seasoning–keep your spices right on top of the surface of the grill in either front or bottom shelf compartments while you leave healthy items like veggies off in the fridge waiting for party day.
11. HADST Charcoal Grill with Offset Smoker
- Suiting all of your cooking needs with one easy-to-use device.
- The HADST Charcoal Grill is perfect for when you want the smoky, woody taste of a smoker without losing any of the delicious flavor or distinct texture that comes from grilling over charcoal.
- An offset smoker with an open firebox, side vent, and chimney stack for great smoke ventilation, in addition to being an excellent charcoal grill, makes this barbecue an innovative solution.
- The tough steel construction will last long past most other models on the market right now and has angled legs built in to make sure it’s super stable during operation. What’s even better is that it includes two wheels – making transport easier than ever!
12. Outsunny 48″ Steel Portable Backyard Charcoal BBQ Grill and Offset Smoker Combo
- Ready for a truly great BBQ? No more of the typical backyard fare. With this quality product, you’ll be able to do what the pros do every time: savor that flavorful and perfectly cooked meat in no time with precision-style cooking.
- And with ample storage space – two wooden shelves await your recipes and grilling needs: one at the front and another on the side – you can confidently prepare delicious meals for any occasion without worries! A metal grating below provides even heat distribution when searing steaks or burgers away from home. An easy-to upstanding construction with angled legs makes it tough and stable, making sure the food is evenly cooked every time.
- 2 wheels are attached on one side for easy transportability when desired. The wooden handle stays cool so that you do not need to worry about getting burnt. All around, this is a well-constructed product that offers convenience for any backyard chef who wants to enjoy summertime with perfectly cooked meat or vegetables.
13. Broil King 958050 Offset Smoker
- The Broil King 958050 Offset Smoker has two cooking chambers yet weighs in at only 186 pounds thanks to its 2mm steel construction. Not only that but because of the high-quality cast iron grate, you’ll be able to prepare delicious food like brisket or ribs with ease – no pun intended.
- And despite the relatively low price for this product, don’t think that means you’re limited! Broil King’s dual-purpose smoke diffusing charcoal trays mean not just barbecuing or baking can be done on your new offset smoker, but now smoking is an option as well. Add in the removable ashtray and air vent system which includes a roto-draft damper technology simply for good measure.
- The Broil King Offset Smoker is one badass offset barbecue that can handle meats up to 7 pounds and features air vents for the drafting of natural smoke from scrubbed wood chips. And if you’re going low and slow with your brisket or ribs, well, then this thing has everything you need. You’ll love all of the options.
How To Choose The Best Offset Smoker
Even if you have a good idea of the technology and type, it is possible to make a terrible mistake when you don’t know what you are buying. These attributes are often compared to the best offset smoker and will be revisited frequently during our standalone reviews.
When making a decision, the first thing to consider is the sole build. There are three main categories, with the primary criteria being the size and shape of the smoker.
This is the most common and typical form of an offset smoker. The drum-shaped offset smokers can be mounted on either 4 legs or 2 legs with a 2-wheelset. They often have one large horizontal cooking surface.
These models can be powered by charcoal or wood and are the most straightforward to use. There are two heat-regulating valves: one at the fire pit and one at the exhaust pipe. This type of smoker is popular because it looks similar to a regular grill.
This type of offset smoker is rare. These smokers can be powered by liquid propane, charcoal, or wood. This adds to their versatility. However, their strength lies in the ability to have multiple grill grates within the food chamber (stacked vertically). This is useful if you’re preparing different types of meats and need to separate them.
A few grill masters leave a grate at the top to cook smoked vegetables. This allows them to use the moisture from the plants to make the meat juicier.
This type of smoker is slowly losing popularity due to its complexity. You can also enjoy the beauty of a cooking pot in your backyard. This is not something that many people enjoy. A barrel-type offset smoker can be a problem for people who prefer their food heated from an indirect source of heat.
It is essential that the temperature in the offset smoker remains constant to ensure savory and well-smoked meats. The lid must be tightly closed to ensure these delicious results. To ensure that you have better control over your cooking, make sure to invest in a thermometer.
Two thermometers at each end of the smoker, at the grate level, are crucial in many cases. This allows you to record temperature variations and adjust the smoker accordingly.
It is important that you consider the gauge of the steel used in the construction of the smoker, particularly the cooking chamber. The offset smokers should be used for abuse and be capable of cooking for long periods. Low-quality offset smokers should be avoided. Some manufacturers use thin steel and low gauge metal to cut costs. However, these smokers don’t last very long.
The best offset smokers tend to be more expensive than traditional smokers. Some models, however, are heavy-duty commercial-grade large smokers. To build their smokers and grill grates, the top manufacturers of smokers use heavy-gauge stainless steel.
Smokers made of heavy gauge steel can withstand years of abuse, including being transported on trailers and towed around the city
Controlling the flow of oxygen is the best way to regulate the temperature in an offset smoker.
The fire element oxygen is essential. More oxygen means more heat. Vents that are too small or difficult to adjust will make it impossible to control your temperature. This is why good smoking requires consistent temperatures.
Internal venting is important too. Make sure to check the connection between your main chamber and the firebox. You won’t get heat distribution if the two meet at or above the grill height.
Heat loves to rise, so it is best to place the heat at a lower height than the meat. For better heat dispersion, look for a lower connection. You can also opt for a reverse flow technology smoker, where heat and smoke travel twice as long as the cooking chamber. This will engulf all food before it reaches the exhaust stack.
It is important to know how many people you will be cooking for. A 400-square-inch space is sufficient if you plan to cook for four or five people. If you intend to host regular backyard events, you may need 600+ square inches.
Remember that offset smokers can be used to both grill and smoke food.
FAQs about using your new offset smoker
Can you use wood pellets on an offset smoker?
Yes, you can use wood pellets on an offset smoker. Pellets are heated in the firebox before they enter the cooking chamber. They burn much more quickly than charcoal or logs and produce less ash than some softwoods like cherry or oak because only the outer layer of each pellet is burned.
As long as your grill comes with a manual that tells you how to configure it, adding pellets to your fuel source should be relatively straightforward — just open up some space for them inside your heat shield, clean out any ash buildup under the chimney (just make sure not to dump it all out), and make sure both vents are open so air can travel through the unit properly. Your smoker’s built-in thermometer will also help you keep track of the temperature inside.
What is a good offset smoker for smoking ribs?
A great offset smoker for smoking ribs would be one that heats up to around 225 degrees Fahrenheit and can maintain low, consistent heat throughout your cook. Look out for smokers with adjustable dampers, so you have more control over how much air enters the cooking chamber.
What is the best way to set up a quality offset smoker?
This all depends on what you are smoking, when, where (season), and how often. Offset smokers can be set up in many ways, but here are some of the most popular methods:
– Basket Setup
– Hanging Setup
– Vertical Setup
– Offset Stand with Wheels for use as finishing grill or water pan setup.
– Box Type Smoker Setup.
– Stacked Poker Chip Boxes for a box-type smoker setup that is easily movable and portable.
The best way to set up a quality offset smoker is to determine what you are smoking, when, where (season), how often you plan on using it, and your personal needs/preferences.
What is the difference between a charcoal smoker and an offset smoker?
An offset smoker has more space than a charcoal one, but it’s harder to maintain temperature. It also requires more fuel since there aren’t as many insulation materials compared to a full steel body. Charcoal smokers provide hotter temperatures for cooking, but they require frequent refueling.
What is the difference between offset smokers and electric smokers?
Offset smokers have a smoke chamber that is separate from the firebox. In electric smokers, the two are in one unit, and when they get too hot, you can’t add wood to the smoker.
What is the best smoker under $200?
The Char-Broil offset smoker provides a good amount of space to cook your food with. It’s a versatile grill that can be customized depending on what you want out of it. You get more for less, and if this price range doesn’t work for you then check out our other articles to find the perfect smoker for you.
How do I control my offset smoker?
Offset smokers will have vents that allow you to regulate how much oxygen flows in and out of it, as well as a draft door that controls heat flow. They are typically placed on one side or the other so they can be slightly leaned against an object such as a wall or tree.
How do you maintain an offset smoker?
Offset smokers are pretty low maintenance since they don’t use electricity and have large amounts of space for cooking. You should keep the inside clean with a damp cloth after each use, but other than that there isn’t much to maintaining one.
How to Use an Offset Smoker for Beginners
We hope that this post has helped you narrow down your search for the best offset smoker. It is important to understand how these smokers work before investing in one, so make sure you do extensive research on what type of features are best suited for your needs and budget.
As with any purchase, it pays off to spend time researching beforehand if you want the most bang for your buck! We have included a list below of some helpful resources where you can find more information about buying an offset smoker. Happy smoking!