Smoking food is one of the best ways to infuse it with flavor, and a propane smoker is a great way to do that. However, with so many different options on the market, there are some things you should know before making your purchase.
In this blog post, we will discuss 13 of the best propane smokers on the market today. After reading our reviews, you’ll be able to make an informed decision about which smoker best suits your needs!
- What is a propane smoker?
- Benefits of using a propane smoker
- List of 14 Best Propane Smoker Reviews
- 1. Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker
- 2. Cuisinart COS-244 Vertical 36″ Propane Smoker
- 3. Dyna-Glo DGY784BDP 36″ Vertical LP Gas Smoker
- 4. Dyna-Glo DGW1235BDP-D 36″ Wide Body LP Gas Smoker
- 5. Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24″ Vertical Smoker
- 6. Masterbuilt MB20051316 Propane Smoker with Thermostat Control
- 7. PIT BOSS 77435 Vertical Lp Gas Smoker
- 8. PIT BOSS 77425 2.5 Gas Smoker
- 9. Char-Broil Vertical Liquid Propane Gas Smoker
- 10. Masterbuilt MB20050716 Mps 330g Propane Smoker
- 11. Masterbuilt 20051311 GS30D 2-Door Propane Smoker
- 12. Smoke Hollow PS40B Propane Smoker
- 13. Landmann USA 3895GWLA Smoky Mountain Vertical Gas Smoker
- 14. Gizcam 30-inch Vertical Propane Smoker
- Buying Guide for Best Propane Smoker
- Different types of propane smokers and their pros and cons
- FAQs about propane smokers
- How much does a propane smokehouse cost?
- What are some of the top brands for propane smokers?
- Why do people like propane smokers better than other types of smokers?
- Where can I buy a propane smoker?
- What are good propane smoker recipes?
- What are the best features of a propane smoker?
- How long does it take to get good at smoking with a propane smoker?
- How long can you use a propane tank before it is empty?
What is a propane smoker?
A propane smoker is a grill that uses propane gas to cook food rather than direct heat from charcoal or wood. These products are popular because they’re easy to use and don’t require any special skills. To get started with your first smoke session, all you need is coals or chips for smoking (and, of course, meat, poultry, or fish). Propane smokers are also fairly inexpensive when compared to other types of grills.
How do they work
Benefits of using a propane smoker
- Hight efficiency: Propane smokers are more efficient than electric smokers. You can control the amount of propane that goes to your smoker, so you know exactly how much heating power you have on tap.
- Heats up quickly: Using this product is faster than using an electric one because it heats up immediately and uses less fuel for its highest temperature setting. This means less time spent refueling and more time cooking.
- Ideal for camping: Propane smokers can be used in areas where electricity is not available, such as camping trips or off-the-grid locations like hunting cabins.
- Low cost of use: Using propane reduces costs when compared to an electric smoker over a long period of usage. The fuel itself might cost slightly more than electricity, but propane is also more efficient than electric.
- Reasonable price: Propane smokers are still less expensive than other smoker types such as charcoal and pellet. You get a good value for the money you spend on them compared to other alternatives, especially if you do not use them that often or just need something simple.
List of 14 Best Propane Smoker Reviews
1. Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker
- More than just a propane smoker, use this innovative cooking contraption to smoke, roast, and grill.
- The Tru-infrared technology gives you great-tasting food with no flare-ups and cooks your foods evenly, so more of it is actually cooked. Add some flavor to your meat with the smoking box for ultimate taste, or add corn in the roasting basket when you want barbecued vegetables.
- This handy device has 180 inches of cooking space on one rack for grilling with its adjustable 9,000 – 18,000 BTU’s per hour heat control that fits most cookbooks.
- The sturdy construction holds up to 25 pounds of meat at a time, making it perfect not only for big family meals but also for large events!
2. Cuisinart COS-244 Vertical 36″ Propane Smoker
- The perfect addition to any home chef’s kitchen, the Cuisinart smoker offers effortless, flavorful cooking. With a generous 5. 45 square feet of space and features like removable 4 racks for smoking families of up to 16 burgers or 13 chickens at once, not only is it easy to use, but when finished, the high-quality stainless steel racks are dishwasher safe for quick cleanup.
- This smoker is easy to use with convenient features like two doors that allow you access to the oven without needing to remove any components. The doors are solidly sealed by a twist of the handle, preventing messes from getting inside during use or after cleanup.
- The porcelain enamel steel tray holds wood chips and water conveniently within reach for reuse throughout your grilling session – keep an eye on it, though! Requires wood chips when grilling. Includes 40-inch hose and regulator for refill quickly at any gas station with a standard propane tank (propane not included).
- The built-in thermometer displays reliably accurate internal temperatures in both Celsius and Fahrenheit units. Guaranteed even heat distribution across all four circular burners ensures that your food will cook out perfectly every time, so come see why this durable and well-engineered appliance has garnered such rave reviews from its customers.
3. Dyna-Glo DGY784BDP 36″ Vertical LP Gas Smoker
- The Dyna-Glo DGY784BDP Vertical LP Gas Smoker is made to please. It has the power, size, and versatility for large quantities of meat. The smoker comes fully assembled, so it’s ready to be popped straight into service right out of the box, so you can start cooking with your very first pot of wood chips.
- Take that whole hog or brisket or rib roast or hams! With 784 square inches of available space on four adjustable steel wire racks, this vertical propane smoker will handle almost anything you throw at it.
- It comes equipped with cast iron burners, porcelain-enameled steel wood chip box, double door design, sliding air dampers on top and sides for smoked/cooking heat control options, plus an easy-to-read temperature gauge with decor ring.
- Dyna-Glo’s one-year limited warranty ensures you’ll have no worries when giving this product as a gift or receiving it as well!
4. Dyna-Glo DGW1235BDP-D 36″ Wide Body LP Gas Smoker
- The Dyna-Glo 36″ Propane Smoker is the perfect year-round solution for everything from curing meat, to smoking briskets, to making juicy baby back ribs. The easy push-button ignition makes lighting quick and simple all year long.
- With 20,000 BTUs for two burners, this gas smoker provides reliable cooking performance in any weather; cold or warm seasons don’t affect it at all.
- At 1,235 square inches of cooking space with four adjustable grates, this smoker has all the room you need to cook whatever it is your heart desires. The charcoal water bowl and wood chip box are both made from heavy gauge porcelain-enameled steel, so they won’t rust or break down over time as other smokers might.
- The temperature gauge on the unit features an ideal smoke zone which shows how hot it needs to be in order to infuse full flavor into your meats.
- And with pre-installed door seals that minimize smoke loss and retain heat during cooking sessions, you’ll be able to enjoy hickory-smoked goodness year after year!
5. Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24″ Vertical Smoker
- Serious home barbecue cooking does not have to be complicated. Now you can start with quality Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24″ Smoker for fresh, delicious food. Cooking is easier than ever, thanks to two cooking grids and one jerky rack, all included in this vertical smoker, which features three adjustable damper valves, so the cook doesn’t need to guess how far they are open.
- This best propane smoker includes a door thermometer that goes from 50-550 degrees Fahrenheit on both sides of the door for even temperature control during the cook, as well as easy read dials on top of the closed lid.
- With convenient matchless snap-ignition, lighting your coals is no longer difficult or time-consuming! The smoker also includes some helpful recipes for beginners!
6. Masterbuilt MB20051316 Propane Smoker with Thermostat Control
- The Masterbuilt MB20051316 Propane Smoker is the perfect way to experience true barbecue flavor! Find your favorite new ingredients at your local grocery store and hit the road. Better yet, get creative with what you have on hand.
- The propane smoker heats up in just 5 minutes and has a temperature sensor that helps maintain the right heat all day long for juicy poultry, flavorful ribs, or succulent pork.
- Forget about weathered drum smokers made from cheap materials; these stainless steel racks hold 15,750 BTU’s of power and don’t break down as some drum smokers do. So put together some recipes and make them affordable by using this Masterbuilt product!
7. PIT BOSS 77435 Vertical Lp Gas Smoker
- With the widest temperature range of any LP smoker, one can enjoy this modern digital marvel. Designed to cook all sorts of things, you’ll have your meat for days with plenty of extra room left over.
- Dual valve/burner system provides 100-350 degrees resulted in evenly cooked meats that are mouthwateringly tender. Over 800 sq inches get 8 hours worth of food at one time! Unlimited options include three cooking grids, stainless steel burners – 12 500 BTU total.
- Plus, an external access wood chip drawer and grease tray offer easy cleanup and delicious taste too! A large viewing window with a high-temp door seal lets you observe the event as it goes down while keeping fire out and heat in.
8. PIT BOSS 77425 2.5 Gas Smoker
- The Pit Boss Red Rock Propane Smoker makes the perfect gift for the person who seems to have everything. Use it for indoor cooking or outdoor grilling, camping, or tailgating.
- This world-class piece of machinery is easy to operate and boasts thoughtful features, including an elevated frame that facilitates transporting your food from the smoker to anywhere else. It also features a front window for those times you want a peek at what’s going on inside without having to open it up or pull out any cooking gauges.
- Plus, this smoker has super bright LED lights, so you can confidently cook at night knowing you’ll always see what’s happening in your grill—even when you’re not peering inside. It also features easy-to-read temperature gauges on both sides of its led display screen, making temperature measurements 5 times faster than ever before.
9. Char-Broil Vertical Liquid Propane Gas Smoker
- Vertical Liquid Propane Gas Smoker by Char-Broil is the perfect way for you to infuse all of your favorite flavors into your meals. The large cooking surface has 3 chrome-plated cooking grates, giving you ample space for whatever meats or vegetables are on your plate. You can fill up 7,566 cubic inches worth of cooking space with different foods, sauces, and spices.
- And because Char-Broil knows accidents happen when tending to any grill, they also constructed smoker out of aluminum casting with cool-touch handles that stay nice and cool when handling it during fires or close calls.
- When the food comes out perfectly cooked on top of this smoker’s three smoking racks, you will have an entire feast that will be mouthwatering every time! With the easy-to-access water pan that prevents having to refill it yourself during meal prep times constantly.
10. Masterbuilt MB20050716 Mps 330g Propane Smoker
- The Masterbuilt MB20050716 is a top-rated propane smoker of its kind. Equipped with all of the features you desire, this smoker will make your barbeque taste award-winning. The thermometer and control system guarantees even cooking temperatures for foods of all varieties, smoked or barbecued to perfection every time.
- Reviews on this product show that it has excellent construction and design; not only does it come at a low price, but it also stands above other similar products in quality and performance.
- Considering the high fuel gauge accuracy and consistency in providing perfect smoking results time after time without fail, get one today!
11. Masterbuilt 20051311 GS30D 2-Door Propane Smoker
- This Masterbuilt 2-Door Propane Smoker comes with countless amenities to help you save time and money. Not only will you have room for plenty of meats, but the porcelain-coated wood chip tray and water pan are removable for easy clean-up.
- The built-in temperature gauge helps ensure a consistent level of cooking, while the locking door and inner liner keep heat from escaping, so your food stays fully flavored.
- The air damper allows better smoke control as well as creating those flavorful flames which carry over to meat during cooking. Overall, this smoker is as practical as it is beautiful–perfect as part of any patio or deck set-up.
12. Smoke Hollow PS40B Propane Smoker
- If you loved your Smoke Hollow grill, then it’s time to upgrade with the Smoke Hollow PS40B Propane Smoker. This is the smoker for every family outing.
- Its steel construction and easy push-button ignition make it perfect for home or commercial use. With its adjustable damper, you can control the level of smoke to your precise liking, while easy clean-up allows all of your hard work to be put on display year after year. Now get out there and cook up some memories!
- It has four chrome-coated racks to space out make use of the whole smoker, and we promise with its 15,400 BTU stainless steel burner and adjustable air damper, it’ll be a breeze for you to make delicious meals.
13. Landmann USA 3895GWLA Smoky Mountain Vertical Gas Smoker
- A Landmann Propane Smoker provides a unique cooking experience because it has a 1576-square inch of space, with easy access drawers that let you reach your wood chip box and water pan without opening the main chamber door.
- This smoker is also fully adjustable, enabling you to control its heat perfectly thanks to the front door temperature gauge. The side dampers are perfect for adjusting the smoker’s temperature as well—with plastic tab guards for optimum convenience.
- You’ll be able to use this smoker all day long thanks to its fully adjustable top chimney and rotary igniter, which always make lighting it simple! Cast iron burners provide superb durability over time while ensuring excellent cooking results every time.
14. Gizcam 30-inch Vertical Propane Smoker
- The 30-inch propane smoker is the perfect outdoor smoker for you when your family fires up their gas grills. The cooking racks easily slide in and out of position, which allows you to cook a variety of food outside.
- To ensure safety, this product has been up-fitted with 4 cooking grids that are flame-resistant, making it safe for children and pets outdoors.
- With the Gizcam vertical propane smoker, you get more control over recipes with precise temperature settings. You can prepare your food in a healthier way by eliminating any toxins in harmful chemicals that come with conventional cooking methods.
- Plus, it’s easy for you to monitor just how well everything is coming together in the cooking process with an easy-to-read thermometer on the door.
Buying Guide for Best Propane Smoker
This will determine how much you can spend on a propane smoker. The lower the price, the more basic it is going to be and therefore there are going to be fewer features available to you. We recommend that if your budget allows, then go for something that has a higher price tag as they tend to last longer and have more features.
However, if you are on a tight budget, then go for the cheapest one that is within your price range as long as it has all of the features that you need, such as legs and at least three adjustable cooking grates.
How much room do you have to store this propane smoker? Do not forget that it will need to be placed on a flat surface in order for you to use it.
If your best propane smoker is too big, then this means that you may not have space for it and also, if the size of the cooking area is small, then this could limit how much food can fit inside at one time, so therefore there are going to be limitations on what you can cook.
This is an important factor to consider as if it does not have the right features; then it could be of no use to you or your family. You should therefore look at how many cooking grates are available, whether there is a water tray for keeping moisture in, and also at temperature controls.
One thing that you should look for in a propane smoker is whether it has an auto shut-off feature. This means that if the temperature of your cooking chamber reaches over 400 degrees, then this will automatically turn itself off, which could save you from having to deal with any potential accidents or fires. It’s also worth checking how easy it is to clean, as this will ensure that you can keep your propane smoker in top condition.
Secondly, check what fuel type you desire (propane or natural gas) and look for one that accommodates this properly in order to use whatever fuel type you want with ease. A propane smoker will only always run on its own kind of fuel, so it is important to have a reliable supply before investing in your food smoking appliance purchase!
Best propane smokers based on customer reviews and overall product value. The top-rated models tend to have hundreds if not thousands of positive reviews. These are the best for a reason. They have great features, an appealing design, and they cook food properly to give you delicious results every time!
Different types of propane smokers and their pros and cons
This is the simplest type of propane smoker. Food goes in a pan over direct heat, and there’s no insulation or separate chamber.
Vertical water smoker
Water pans placed at the bottom and top provide moisture for this type of propane smoker, which can be used to cook anything from poultry to vegetables. The best thing about this type of smoker is its versatility.
This vertical water smoker features a gas burner at the bottom, which uses propane to heat up both an upper and lower cooking area for added convenience. You can cook different types of meat in it without flavor transfer between them because there are separate compartments with their own grills.
Offset firebox smokers
Vertical water smokers are the most popular type of propane smokers, but offset firebox ones have a unique design that makes them worth considering as well. They also come with two compartments for cooking different food at once without flavor transfer, although they are slightly more complicated to use than vertical water smokers.
Reverse flow smoker
This propane smoker works with airflow in a way that allows it to heat up and cook food faster than other types. It is ideal for cooking different kinds of meat at once because one side can be used to smoke while the other is used for direct grilling, roasting, or baking.
Cabinet style offset firebox smoker
This type of propane smoker is usually made out of steel or stainless steel and features a vertical chamber design with airflow vents on the bottom, which makes them more efficient than other types. They can also be used to cook different food at once without flavor transfer because one side is for smoking while the other is for grilling or roasting.
This vertical propane smoker works with a small firebox mounted at the bottom and a horizontal chamber for adding wood chips or chunks. The food is cooked by aluminum bullet-shaped modules that are placed inside it, which makes this type of smokers ideal for cooking meat in large quantities.
This type of smoker is made out of steel drums, and they work by burning wood chunks inside them in order to produce smoke that adds flavor to whatever you are cooking. They are a good choice for large gatherings because they can cook up to 100 pounds of food at once, and it also features an offset firebox on the side, which makes its design similar to that of a pellet smoker.
Offset horizontal smoker
This cabinet-style propane smoker comes with two chambers that work separately to allow you to cook different types of meat at once with their own flavors. It also works with airflow vents on the bottom for increased efficiency, which means it can be used to cook larger quantities of food.
This type of propane smoker is usually made out of stainless steel or cast iron, and its main chamber is separate from the firebox, which makes it versatile. It also comes with built-in thermostats for added convenience and can be used to cook different types of food at once without flavor transfer.
Smoker grill combo
This type of propane smoker comes with both a stand and an offset firebox that is mounted to it, which makes it more versatile. It can be used to cook different types of food at once because one side is for smoking while the other is for grilling or roasting.
FAQs about propane smokers
How much does a propane smokehouse cost?
Models start at around $100, but there are higher-end models that can run up to $500+. An average smoker will be between these two prices points. Check out our guide above to find the best propane smoker for sale to suit your needs.
What are some of the top brands for propane smokers?
The most popular brands in this category include Smoke Hollow, Dyna-Glo, and Napoleon, to name a few. They all offer high-quality designs with many features, as well as a great price to suit your cooking needs.
Why do people like propane smokers better than other types of smokers?
Propane is more efficient and executes heat distribution much better than electric heating elements. Propane has been used for decades now by cooks from all over the world with great results every time!
Where can I buy a propane smoker?
The best place for BBQ grill deals is definitely online, where you will find the lowest prices on many top models across all brands. Additionally, if there are any problems or other issues with your smoker, it’s much easier to return it to a physical store than have the hassle of shipping an entire grill back. If you’re interested in buying locally, check out your local hardware or outdoor supplies stores!
What are good propane smoker recipes?
There is no shortage of inspiration when it comes to propane smoker recipes. You can find some great ones online or in books like “The Great Book of Grilling” by Andrew Schloss, which is full of tips and ideas for cooking on your barbecue, whatever the weather!
What are the best features of a propane smoker?
The best features are its long cooking time with low fuel consumption, convenience, and easy cleanup.
Propane smokers are considered safer to use in enclosed spaces because there is little to no smoke release when the smoker is running on propane. This not only makes the smoker safer but also improves ventilation for backyard smoking environments. What’s more, you can easily adjust heat levels by altering how much fuel you add during the smoking process–a built-in safety feature that ensures foods don’t get ruined or burnt by excessive heat.
The convenience of the propane gas provides an accurate temperature reading which tells you when your food is ready to eat, so there’s no need for guesswork or overcooking fruits and vegetables.
How long does it take to get good at smoking with a propane smoker?
It’s not as easy as just buying a propane smoker and throwing things into it. In order to get good with a model, you’ll want to do some experimenting the first few times you use it. For example, with smoking meat, be sure to experiment with how many hours you smoke your meat for at what temperature before deciding on what cut of meat is best. The same goes for vegetables–try out varying degrees of heat and different time intervals to find out what tastes best for your palate.
How long can you use a propane tank before it is empty?
This varies depending on how much the smoker is smoking. If you are using it for more than 8 hours, then you will see your propane gas tank filling up more quickly.
After reading our reviews, you’ll know which propane smoker is best for your needs. We hope this has been helpful in finding the perfect model to suit all of your cooking needs!
If you have any questions about this best propane smoker or need help making a decision, just let us know, and we’ll be happy to provide more information on what might work best for you.